Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What's in a name?

Wikipedia defines a name as: "a noun, normally used to distinguish one from another. . .a personal name identifies a specific unique and identifiable person."

I've started making a list of baby names ever since I was in high school. No, I never planned on becoming pregnant in high school, I would just hear names and I would right them down. And soon I just found myself adding to my list when I was bored. And it wasn't just first names. It was first and middle name combos, that had to flow perfectly. Names that had cute nicknames. Names that could be shortened. Names, for boys, that when you just used their initials sounded like good. (think JC or Tj).

When we found out we were chosen to adopt a baby, Nic and I both felt it was a boy. So, I focused all my attention on boy names. So, when we found out Baby Ward is going to be a girl I had no idea what to tell our Birth Mom when she asked us if we had a name picked out. I always knew I wanted to name our first daughter Magdalena Irene, but because I felt the name had come to us in such a special way, Nic and I decided that we will hold onto that name when I give birth to a girl. With that name tossed out the window, we had to go back to the drawing bored. But after countless hours of thinking up combos and making sure they flowed together (Nic had suggested Jasmine Lakeesha???) we have come up with a list of seven names. They are as follows:

1. Gwenevieve Noel
2. Isabella Rosario
3. Annabelle Marie
4. Caitlyn Marie
5. Gabriella Faye
6. Evelyn Giselle
7. Jasmine Lanae

We don't know how we're going to decide, but Nic and I wanted to see what everyone else thought. So, we made a poll on the side bar of our blog. Go ahead and vote. Obviously Nic and I will make the final decision but, again, we just wanted our friends to weigh in. Happy voting! :)

4 comments:

tina howell said...

Isabella Rosario is a gorgeous name for a gorgeous little baby girl!!!

Mersiha said...

Annabelle Marie is a beautiful name. I think it fits your last name very well.

Erin said...

Hi,
I'm Erin from the Live2Craft blog. I would love to send you the Nativity Puppet Pattern. Email me your address: eneville4517 (at) msn (dot) com. So excited for you and your husband's upcoming parenting adventure! And yes, the puppets are so easy to make you will probably have made dozens of sets before Christmas! Hope to hear from you soon.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Your dream is beautiful... And I love those names. They're very feminine and classic, but unusual. so happy for your family to look forward to the blessing of a child this year! You're going to be an amazing mother!! :)
L.Rummler