Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Being a responsible adult is sooo over-rated!

Well, as previously mentioned football takes me to a happy place. That said, on February 11th (at 10 am) BSU opened up their season ticket waiting list. All you had to do was long on to their web-site and provide you contact information. So, at 9:59 I logged on to their web-site and at the stroke of 10 am I provided all my information and that I wanted four tickets (me and Nic and Mel and TJ). True, I had high hopes that we would score some awesome tickets but as the months went on, I began to loose hope.

Well fast forward to July 6th. Nic and I come home from church and I have five messages. I figured my parents had left me a couple of messages so I checked; and while there was none from them, there was one message equally as important-a message from the BSU ticket office. They called me to inform me I was next on their list for season tickets and that I just need to call their ticket office. I start freaking out: Oh my gosh! When did they call? I need to call them back. Oh my gosh! Yes my friends, I was that excited. I listen to the message header again and they called July 2 at 2:30; for some reason my phone never gave me my message-I was so upset! I told Nic the exciting news and that I would call Monday during my lunch.

Monday afternoon I call and they tell me tickets are still available and their location. They seemed reasonably priced, so I call Nic and is he is all for us getting tickets we just need to wait a week. When I get off the phone him I start doing my little happy dance and I start singing the BSU fight song and I start imagining myself at the games and I can hear the band playing. . .I start getting wwaaayy excited like I do when I'm at the football games.

Well, fast-forward to Sunday (7/13). We met with our Bishop to discuss concerns (mostly money) about adoption. I told him that were saving where we can but I just don't think we'll have the money we need. He told me that people who are saving can always save a little more.

Monday comes and as I'm getting ready to make that glorious purchase, I just can't bring myself to do it. The words of our Bishop are ringing in my head and I start thinking: are these tickets a want or a need. One could argue that if you're trying to make sure you have a happy wife then the season tickets would definitely be a need, but I knew deep down inside no matter how I tried to spin it these season tickets were a want. And when we're trying to save for something greater that this is something we can't afford right now.

I called Nic and told him that I wouldn't be purchasing the tickets and I explained to him why. He told me that he thought it was a good decision but if I still wanted to buy them, he would let me. I told him that we simply couldn't and the words of the Bishop just kept playing in my head over and over. So, we didn't buy them.

I know it was a wise decision and in the end we will have the greatest reward (a child or two), but I know when I'm watching the games from my couch yelling at the TV that I'll think: Being responsible is completely over-rated!

2 comments:

Garrison Propaganda said...

while it might seem a sacrifice now, im sure you wont think that in years to come as youre sitting in some awesome seats in the stadium raising a child or two to love something as much as you do. way to go elaine!

Waters said...

You strong willed mother you are!!! Your kids will thank you for this. :)