Sunday, June 29, 2008

Can you feel the Burn???



The Boise Burn that is. Last week, a man in our ward was handing out FREE tickets to the Boise Burn which is an arena football team here in town. Knowing that I'm an avid sports fan and had previously mentioned wanting to attend a game, my dear hubby grabbed some tickets-five to be exact (he loves me so much). Well, we had completely forgot about the tickets until the night before when the news was talking about their upcoming game. Nic and I looked at each other and at the same time said "Oh yeah, the game's tomorrow. Who are we going to take?" We decided to invite the wonderful Waters Family.


I love, love, LOVE football games. I love getting pumped by the warm-up music and feeding off the adrenalin of the players. Football games take me to a happy place. Arena football is so different than regular football, and it is my opinion that you need to be in crazy good shape to do it. Since the field is smaller you are sprinting all the time and if you're playing both offensive and defensive roles you have to be on top of your cardio, or I'm sure you would be passing out. In a way I guess arena football is like soccer (another sport that takes me to my happy place)-except in soccer we don't use padding. . .we know how to take a hit! :) So, yesterday we met at the Quest Arena ready to have a jolly good time.
Since the tickets were handed out at church, the game pretty much turned into a ward activity. I had to joke with Nic that I need to be on my best behavior or some of the brethren and sisters might begin to question me teaching their children in Primary. Why you may ask? Well, when it come to sports (mostly football) it brings out a whole different side of Elaine. I have been known to yell out a few things like "Why don't you take a hit like a man," and "Stop being a pansy QB" and "Learn how to throw QB". . . the list could go on and on. When you're in an outdoor stadium it's easy to yell and not be heard, but such is not the case when it comes to arena football. I yelled "Why don't you learn how to hit 34" and I got a couple of stares from people around us. After that I kept it a little more in check.

The game is definitely quick and because it's such a smaller field the scoring is crazy high (but I guess in comparison to most final scores of BSU football games it's not that high). The final score:

It was a fun game and I'm still the Valliant 11 teacher, so I guess I didn't scare the people in my ward to terribly bad. :)

2 comments:

Garrison Propaganda said...

well, its good to hear you didnt get released from your calling and that you had a good time!

Tori said...

We have been dying to go to a Burn game, they look like fun.