Monday, June 23, 2008

Garage Sale Fun?????

(What the cats did while we were out in the sun)


(Nic working hard)
The one thing I will say is that there are some serious cheapo's out there! I grew up going garage selling with my dad, so I know the type of prices that would fly. I marked them up a little higher knowing in negotiations I would get exactly what I wanted for them, but still people are crazy.


Case in point #1: Over our three years of marriage, Nic and I have collected plenty of gift bags. We never reuse them so I figured we would just sale them. In total there were 2o bags and they weren't just the plain ones, some were the REALLY nice ones (you know the ones that cost like $3-$4). Anyways, we were selling all of these for $2! To me, that's a screaming deal. Some lady wanted to pay $0.50! What the heck?! Nic was negotiating with her (she only spoke Spanish). Nic finally got her to go up to a dollar, but I was so irritated. I felt like telling her to go to the store and buy all these bags for $20 and then let me know if $2 is a screaming deal. . .I like to think it was the heat putting those thoughts in my head, but if I'm honest with myself I know it wasn't.


Case in point #2: Our cousins donated bags upon bags of clothes to us. As we were sorting them, some of them looked like they were hardly worn. Most of them were girl sizes and they were wwaaayyy cute! Since they were in such good condition (and totally adorable), we were asking $2 per item or 3 for $5. I asked my friends (who have kids) if these were reasonably priced (and if they would pay this amount for them) and they said yes. Well, apparently not this one lady she wanted to pay $0.25 for them. . . $0.25. . .I was floored!! I mean, c'mon. At least $0.75 I would have not had too terrible of a problem with. It was near the end of the day so I was just like "whatever."


Over all, we did pretty good. We made $240, which is a good start to our baby fund. We have tons of stuff left over, so it's time to start posting on craigslist. That's the nice thing with craigslist, 90% of the time you get exactly what you ask for. Hopefully we will have better results.


1 comment:

Garrison Propaganda said...

garage sales are tough. people usually expect super, super deals. i dont usually haggle, but i find most people do ask a lot for a lot of money for things that arent in the best shape. but, it sounds like yours would have been a gem to hit! but they are rough youre right. glad to hear you made some money and good luck with craigslist!